I received this recipe in the Wine Insiders newsletter. I tried it recently and it was a hit with the whole family. It is deliciously different and will become a favorite recipe of mine for sure.
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mixed wild mushrooms, sliced (crimini, porcini, portobello or others)
- 1 pound fresh Italian sausages
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 10 Kalamata olives, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooked rice
Put a small amount of olive oil in skillet and brown sausages on all sides, then simmer them until done in a small amount of water or other liquid of your choice. In a separate skillet or wok saute garlic and onion until softened, 4 to 5 minutes; transfer to a dish to reserve. Add more olive oil as needed and saute mushrooms until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Return onion and garlic to skillet with mushrooms and add oregano, red wine, vinegar and cooked sausages. Simmer for 4 minutes. Season with the black pepper.
Arrange the mushroom and sausages over the cooked rice in a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with the parsley and olives.