I was at a potluck and this salad was served.It has become a favorite recipe when I want to make something unique. Everyone always requests the recipe. It is wonderful and perfect for this time of the year when the beets are ready to be harvested.
- 2 lbs red beets, peeled and diced
- olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large navel orange, quartered and sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 4 handfuls salad spinach or other greens
- 4 – 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic
- pinch pepper
- Toss beets in olive oil to coat lightly.
- Spread them over a baking dish, sprinkle with salt and roast @ 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, so they are tender but still firm.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine beets, oranges, feta, parsley, onions, and pecans.
- Mix dressing ingredients and pour over salad and toss.
Serve on a bed or spinach or other greens.