I have tried many vegetarian lasagna recipes over the years, but this one is my favorite recipe for vegetarian lasagna. The men in my family love it too, and will sometimes request it over meat lasagna. This dish takes a little extra prep time, but is definitely worth the effort. (Tomorrow I will post my family’s favorite meat lasagna.)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked
- Simmer tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and pepper in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil in large skillet over med-high heat until onion is golden.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, carrot, and green pepper.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 min.
- Stir vegetables into tomato mixture, simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine mozzarella, cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Blend well.
- Spoon about 1 cup sauce in bottom of 12×8 inch pan.
- Place a layer of noodles over sauce, then 1/2 of the cheese mixture and 1/2 of the remaining sauce.
- Repeat layers of noodles, cheese mixture, and sauce.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.