This is the original chocolate chip cookie recipe, probably everybodies favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies. This is the cookie that many of us grew up on, I’m sure. So here it is in it’s original form from my much used and stained recipe card. I will admit that I really prefer Ghiradelli chocolate chips to Toll House. I think the Toll House hold their shape better, but the Ghiradelli are richer tasting. If using Ghiradelli, you will need to let them cool a little longer before removing from the cookie sheet.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 1 tsp hot water
- 1 cup nuts, chopped fine
- 2 pkg (14 0z) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups oatmeal (not quick cooking or instant)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine flour with soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream shortening until soft.
- Add sugars gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add hot water to creamed mixture.
- Then add dry ingredients.
- Add nuts, chocolate chips, oatmeal and mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla and blend well.
Drop by 1/2 tsps on a greased cookie sheet. Bake @ 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Yields : 100 cookies.
NOTE: I have never made mine as small as the recipe says, therefore mine have never been done in 8 min. I probably use about 2 tablespoons and they take 12 mins or so. Just watch carefully while baking.
Leave a Reply