I think I got this recipe off the web, but have no idea who originally posted it. It is excellent. Although it takes a little time to put together, your family and friends will love you for it! It is my favorite recipe for lasagna.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into bite size pieces and casing removed. (Turkey sausage works well too.)
- 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced (fresh is best)
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes,tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, 2 tbsp parsley.
- Simmer covered for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley and a dash of salt.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups meat sauce in bottom of 9×13 inch pan.
- Arrange 1/2 of noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- Spread with 1/2 of ricotta cheese mixture.
- Top with 1/3 of mozzarella slices.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake @ 375 degrees for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for 25 minutes more.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
Leave a Reply